14.8.08

Taste is a fickle thing

I'm the biggest sucker for list and countdown shows. I must be the prototype for VH1's target market. Man, I can't feel more uncool. When did I stop being in MTV's target market and start being part of VH1's?

The last couple of days I've been kicking around in my head some things that I used to not like, even hate, but now I can't get enough of. So, here it goes:
  • Jalapeño peppers – maybe it's just taken me awhile to get over my mom squirting me in the eye with jalapeño juice. (it was an accident, so no need to call Social Services)
  • NPR – I'm not exactly sure when I started caring what was going on in the World, but I do now
  • Running long distances
  • Mushrooms – Shitake, Portobella, Morel — I like them all
  • Eggplant – If you don't think you like it, you haven't had it fried
  • Reading novels – also sitting still long enough to read on the beach
  • Strong coffee – no, very strong coffee
  • Adam Vinatieri
  • Cole Slaw
  • David Bowie – he scared me to death in Labrynth as a kid, but now I love him for his music
  • Sauerkraut
  • Taking a nap – I used to resent being made to take a nap, and my parents for always having to nap on Sunday afternoons.
  • Sushi – admittedly, my first exposure to sushi was at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, so there was no chance for me to like it
  • Tofu 
  • Small dogs – our Shih Tzu, Mu Shu has won me over
What people, place or things did you detest that you now love?

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to think that I played a small part in turning some of your strongest dislikes into items on the "Best of Ryan's Newfound Favs" list. For instance, how often did you get into the fabulous Camry and I'd have on NPR? Or...didn't some of my eggplant parmesan dinners help turn your palate into a fan of the vegetable? I can't say I helped in the nap department. As you know, I resent anyone who can lie down at any given moment and fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, No doubt you've had an impact on my changing taste, Sarah. I give you total credit for tofu, but I have to give that Italian restaurant in Chicago and Jack credit for my eggplant conversion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm the worst combination for these sorts of things: A initial naysayer who quickly caves. I can remember saying that all the following things were stupid wastes of time which I would never like or partake in:
    Compact Discs
    Personal Computers
    Traveling, As Opposed To Just Buying Stuff
    My Sister
    Altruism
    Frozen Custard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so guilty of this too.

    Ethiopians (well, their food anyway)
    cheese curds
    librarians
    vegetarians
    Presbyterians

    actually, most things that end in "ian" are cool with me.

    on the other side of things, I really don't like mimes any more. they were so cool with that box/wall/rope trick and now I just want to punch them.

    ReplyDelete