2.5.09

Low Five

For the second time in as many years, I ran the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. It was much more fun than running 13.1 miles should be. The high points far outnumbered the low ones. Come to think of it, there really was just one low point. 

One of the coolest aspects of the race is the number of spectators who line the course with cowbells and full voice to encourage you to keep running, and running, and running. Often times they'll even personalize the encouragement by reading the name on your bib. They might say, "Go Ryan," "You can do it, Ryan," or "Don't die, Ryan." 

I was cruising along, feeling good at about mile 6. There was a stretch of spectators up ahead on the right side of the course who were particularly boisterous. I worked my way from the center of the course over to the right to be a recipient of their well-wishes and to thank them. As I approached, I saw an older man (60s or early 70s I'm guessing) passing out high-fives. I thought, "Hey, I'd like one of those." The man slapped hands with the runners in front of me one by one. I raised my hand in anticipation.

Whiff. 

The man put his hand down just as I ran by. He left me hanging in front of 30,000 people, 3 or 4 of which chuckled behind me. It was as if he looked at me and thought, "don't high five this guy, he has Swine Flu, I'm sure of it." Definitely the low point.

Fortunately for me, a square dancing troupe would be just around the corner to cheer me up.

5 comments:

  1. oh my god! What an assholiolio!
    I think I would've turned around and high fived the smack out of him. Lucky thing you're nicer than me. :)

    I'm just impressed that you can run for that long. Runners amaze me. I'm definitely a walker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... just throwing this out there... were you wearing the short shorts from your '80s Disney Dad costume? And -- oh goodness -- you weren't also sporting the mustache, were you? Because I'm fairly sure that if I saw a tall, sweaty dude in microshorts flailing across a crowd toward *me,* I'd probably take off running in the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadn't thought of that, Colin. That likely explains why I was chafed more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope there was a square dancing troupe. If there wasn't, there should be next year. And I will join the troupe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, there was a square dancing troupe complete with matching outfits, Jill. However, by appearances you need to be at least 70 years old to join the group, I'm sad to report. Give it about 45 years, and I'm sure you'll be welcome to do-si-do til can't do-si-do no mo'.

    You could try to dance your way into the clogging group. The didn't seem to have any particular requirements — except for some clogging shoes of course.

    ReplyDelete