13.1.09

Worsts Nightmares


"That's my worst nightmare," Sarah blurted, as she looked at a cluster of college-aged kids outside their tents as a spattering of rain came down.

"What?"

"Camping in the rain — that's my worst nightmare."

"Really?"

"I have a lot of worst nightmares, actually."

When my cheeks ceased being sore from laughter, I tried to explain that the word worst implies that there is only one worst nightmare allowed per person. 

"Nope. I can have lots of them," she said flatly. 

She does this all the time... she forces me out of my reality and enter in to hers against my will — sorta like The World's Biggest Loser (which is exactly what I feel like when I get sucked into just about any "reality" TV show) or, um, Wife Swap. This time, it wasn't really against my will because I thought there could be some comedy in it, or perhaps a blog entry.

"What are some of your other worst nightmares?," I wondered aloud. This is when she started reciting her list; since then, the list has been expanded, mostly unintentionally. So here, I give you the first (hopefully of many) Sarah's Worst Nightmares List:
  1. Camping in the rain
  2. Seeing a shark while snorkeling
  3. A week without Chapstick* (This one KILLS me)
  4. Waking up with a Gecko** on her face
  5. Sleeping with sand on the sheets
  6. Riding to Hana, Maui on a tour bus
  7. Being lactose intolerant (This one too)
  8. Sleeping in a wet sleeping bag.
I'm getting such a kick out of our little project now, that I think I have decided on mine. My worst nightmare: If Sarah stops having worst nightmares.

*Check out the coolest lip balm-related illustration of all time.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah's are scary, to be sure. Very scary.

    Jill said her worst nightmare is being at a party at someone's house and discovering too late that there wasn't any toilet paper. My worst nightmare is somewhat similar---being at a party and finding out there wasn't any fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunningly similar to Lope Logic. She, too has an ever-unfurling list of Favorite Things In The Whole World Ever, and her list of Worst Nightmares is a running tally as well: subzero temperatures, the extinction of moose-tracks ice cream, becoming so pregnant that she's completely immovable, having her art critiqued by contestants on The Bachelor... it goes on. Though I suppose only one could qualify as Worstest -- I wonder which one it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel the lip-balm nightmare....I have at least 7 or 8 lip-balms (most of which are Burt's Bees and I wouldn't have it any other way) and use them often...like 8-10 times per day. I prefer to never have one far from me...hence the one on my nightstand, one on the dresser, one in the bathroom, one in my car, one on my desk and 3 in my purse!

    Tell Sarah she is not alone!

    ReplyDelete