9.12.08

Tradition is a gift

One of the most wonderful things about the holidays is that it is when so many traditions get started and cared for.

The best thing about being a new parent is the privilege of showing your child so many things (nearly everything) for the first time. I take nothing for granted. "Simeon this is a black key on the piano, and this is a metronome. This – it's a vinyl record of Stevie Wonder's best work, in my opinion, Songs in the Key of Life. This is an orchid, one of the most beautiful flowers and most difficult to keep alive. Oh, and it sits on a plant stand — that's what this is.

This season has given me opportunity to show Simeon his first snowfall, Christmas tree and Red Ryder BB gun. But, I'm most looking forward to Simeon seeing my parents sing O Holy Night for the first time.

I'm not sure when the tradition of my parent's singing O Holy Night on Christmas Day started, but I'm certain that it was my Grandpa Noel who got it going. He would request this song every year, without exception. I'm not even sure he knew what he was starting — which is a common attribute to the best traditions, in my opinion. This is the tradition that keeps my Grandpa Noel alive in my heart. It's what calls on me to remember everything else I loved about him. It inspires me to ask my Grandma to tell me, or retell me about him.

I'm grateful to share the O Holy Night tradition with Simeon 16 days from now, and it will likely mean something completely different to him, and me.

--

Traditions are for sharing. It's in this spirit that I've included video of what, for me, is a sacred tradition.



What is a favorite holiday tradition for you or your family? Please share.

6 comments:

  1. Love.....it's precious really!

    I particularly enjoy the look that your Mom gives your Dad when they both sang different words! I love your family Ryan....y'all are fantabulous.

    BTW...why do the lights on the tree only blink at the bottom? Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very cool Ryan. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened over here because of your comment on Penelope's site. That video of your parents made me cry at work. What a beautiful tradition. And thank God for the magic of technology- that is going to be a special treasure for your family for generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, ya'all.

    Tara, thanks for meandering my way from Penny Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that this is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to fulfill your desire to have someone respond with their favorite family tradition. As your wife, I feel it's my duty. My favorite family tradition has always been our Christmas Bear - the kind you can eat. Every year for as long as I can remember, my Mom will drive an hour to the nearest Great Harvest bakery so she can purchase a delicious honey whole wheat loaf of bread in the shape of a cuddly bear - with a cute bow tied around his neck (the bear has always been a male in the Lewis household). She even made sure we had the bear in Maui two years ago when we celebrated Hawaiian style. We always argue over who gets to eat the tasty legs and are a bit teary-eyed when we cut into his abdomen. Poor fella.

    ReplyDelete