2.11.08

The quickest way to creepy

I spend every October growing a beard, such as it is. My beard isn't very full the way beards are supposed to be — not like my dad's beard. My dad's beard is so even and fine that my mom threatens divorce at the mere mention of him shaving. We'll never know whether she means it, because my dad loves her too much to risk finding out. He's had a beard for as long as I can remember, with one notable exception.

I was 3, maybe 4, when my mom and I came home from somewhere — probably a fabric store (My admittedly selective memory places me in a fabric store with my mom for about 72% of my formative years.) The bathroom door at the top of the stairs slammed shut in perfect time with my mom opening the front door. Half a beat later my mom cried, "Daaaaave! Did you shave your beard?!" That was the first and only time I've seen my dad sans facial fur.

My beard is partly a celebration of my favorite season, autumn, but mostly it is so I can have a mustache for Halloween. While scary is Halloween's calling card, I settle comfortably into creepy. My hypothesis is that the quickest way to creepy is to shave your beard down to a mustache. Below is my Halloween experiment (I call it: 1980s Disney Dad) that supports this hypothesis, and also supports my mother's position that my dad allow the razor to continue catching dust.




3 comments:

  1. What, no pics of your dad's majestic chin-mane? I mean, you as a creepy Disney Dad is nice and, well, creepy, but you painted such a picture of your dad's unstoppable, identity-generating beard that I was crossing my fingers for an image.

    Might want to get permission first, though, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is really creepy. and you really do look like an 80's disney dad. the feathered hair is wonderful. you know, i have never seen dad w/o his beard. you know the guy who does the oxi-clean commercials? he has really dark hair & always wears a blue shirt? i truly believe he has the perfect beard. look for it.
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely nailed creepy to the wall! However, I do consider the hair to be false bad advertising.

    My dad is also a beard-o-phile. The man has to special-order bicycle helmets, his head is so big and round, but he maintains that facial hair is "slimming." I think that when you grow up with scratchy kisses, beards will always have a special place in your heart.

    --Caroline

    ReplyDelete