16.9.08

Saturdays with Simeon


Saturday is a good day for very well established reasons, so I need not explain them. But, Saturday's have just gotten better for me. You see, Sarah has asked if she can go out on Saturday mornings to work out and maybe have breakfast with a friend or two. That, of course, leaves me and Simeon at home, just the two of us.

I may have a difficult time telling you why it was so wonderful, as most of the joys of fatherhood seem very slippery when it comes to writing about them. So, I'll run down our first Saturday morning’s activities, and maybe we can discover what made it so great, together.
  • Simeon woke me up gently. Not a cry so much, but a whimper as if to say, “Dad, I’m awake now. Let’s hang out.”
  • I held him in front of me and asked him what he was going to have for breakfast, and told him what I was going to have in my best British accent (which mysteriously transitioned into a New Zealand accent) — this coaxed many smiles out of him. One smile alone is enough to make my day.
  • He let me eat my breakfast before he started licking his lips.
  • I fed him and he looked curiously at me the entire time. He burped well, so no stomach ache.
  • I changed his cloth diaper, which makes him bear a striking resemblance to a Sumo wrestler. He stared the ink drawing of a monkey (Sarah's named him Moe) I put next to his changing table.
  • Saturday is college football day, so I put him in an IU shirt that our friend John Garrison gave him.
  • I laid on the floor with him in his little play gym. We played with the dangling rattles and such.
  • I noticed how his neck is getting quite strong, so I ran to get his Bumbo (its a little baby chair that allows babies to sit upright)
  • Sarah came home and told me you’re not supposed to put babies his age in Bumbos yet. Simeon begged to differ.
  • We took him to a focus group about my friend’s baby food enterprise. In the middle of my contribution, Simeon poo’d in the most indiscreet way, and looked darned pleased doing it.
  • We took him to the library and the grocery
  • He slept the rest of the day
Nothing extraordinary. I just seem to find new ways and reasons to love Simeon everyday — especially Saturdays.

2 comments:

  1. For someone who had difficulty explaining the wonderfulness, you sure did a fine job. I feel like I was right there with you.

    Many happy Saturdays to you both.

    ReplyDelete